Tooth fairy letter certificates and ideas for kids to celebrate

Tooth fairy letters, games & certificates.

dental problems
Types of Gum Disease – gingivitis and periodontitis. Gingivitis occurs when bacteria collect in tiny pockets at the gum line, causing inflammation. The most common symptoms are bleeding when teeth are brushed and persistent bad breath. Gingivitis accounts for about 70% of gum disease. Periodontists makes up the other 30%. If gingivitis goes untreated, the inflammation can invade connective tissue and even bone. This causes periodontists.
dental problems

Symptoms of periodontitis include:

  • Receding gums
  • Visible pockets of inflammation along the gum line
  • Gum pain
  • Unusual sensitivity to temperature changes
  • Eventually, even the healthiest teeth can become loose and even fall out.

The Role of Dental Exams in Preventing Gum Disease

“Unfortunately, by the time most people notice any of the warning signs of periodontitis, it’s too late to reverse the damage,” says Sam Low, DDS, professor of periodontology at the University of Florida and president of the American Academy of Periodontology. That’s why regular dental checkups are so important, according to Low. Dentists spot trouble in the form of pockets of inflammation or places where gum tissue has eroded slightly, exposing the root of the tooth .With regular checkups, the condition of your gum tissue can be compared over time.  Any erosion that has taken place is noted. Dental X-rays can reveal early signs of gum disease. During the exam, the dentist carefully measures the depth of gum pockets around a selected number of teeth. You should have this exam every 18 to 36 months, according to Low. Unfortunately, not all dentists check carefully enough for gum disease. We estimate that only about one-third of general dentists really take the time to really look for gum disease says a research. The American Academy of Periodontology works closely with professional dental groups to encourage better detection of gum problems during dental checkups. Catching signs of gum disease early may be far more important than previously thought, experts say. Advanced periodontal disease can cause tooth loss. But it may also cause other health problems.

Prevention and Treatment of Gum Disease

  • Proper dental hygiene can go a long way toward preventing gum disease. Most of us know the basics:
  • Brush your teeth at least twice a day, for two minutes.
  • Floss every day.
  • Use an antibacterial mouth rinse for more protection from plaque and to improve gingivitis.
Smoking increases the danger of gum disease by damaging gum tissue and increasing inflammation. If you smoke, preventing gum disease is one more very good reason to try to quit. If gingivitis occurs, your dentist can scrape away plaque buildup at the gum line. Brushing, flossing, and using an antibacterial rinse can usually prevent gingivitis from recurring.


1- Tea and Your Teeth Although tea has a reputation as a healthy beverage, it may not be the best choice when it comes to keeping your teeth white. Dentists say tea — especially the basic black variety — can cause more stains than coffee. However, recent studies have found that even herbal teas and white teas have the potential to erode enamel and cause tooth staining. 2- Sauces May Stain Teeth They may be delicious, but deeply-colored sauces — like soy sauce, tomato sauce, and curry sauce — are also believed to have significant tooth-staining potential. Consider lighter cream sauces for less damaging options and rinse or brush soon after eating to reduce the potential for teeth stains. 3- Sports Drinks and Staining Acidic foods and drinks can also lead to tooth discoloration. Recent research finds that highly acidic drinks — like sports or energy drinks — can erode tooth enamel, setting the stage for staining. When exercising, limit the intake of these drinks. Water may be a better choice — at least for your teeth. 4- Wine and White Teeth If a food or drink can stain a tablecloth, it has the potential to stain your teeth. Red wine, an acidic drink with intensely pigmented molecules called tannins and chromo gens, is notorious for tooth discoloration. White wine is even more acidic and can lead to stains, too. 5- Tooth Stains and Berries Intensely pigmented molecules stick to dental enamel. That’s why blueberries, blackberries, cherries, pomegranates, and other vibrantly colored fruits can stain teeth. Juices and pies made from those fruits can also cause stains. Fruits with less pigmentation — like white grapes and white cranberries — are less likely to stain teeth. But these acidic substances can still harm enamel, so be sure to brush and floss.