Kids in general either hate brushing their teeth or they simply couldn't care less. However, it is important to teach your kids how to brush their teeth to avoid dental and other health problems. With a little patience, creativity, and a handy tool, you should be able to get your kids to brush their teeth in no time. For preschoolers It's relatively easy to teach preschoolers, as long as it's fun for them and is done through rhythm and rhyme. Let your kids know that there are germs that we can't see living on their teeth and it's important to get rid of them. You can even make a song about teeth brushing. When teaching your kids how to brush their teeth, first show them the proper way to go about it. Once you have demonstrated the up and down, round and round process of brushing teeth, hand your kids their brushes and let them try. Use a safe kids' step stool to help them reach the sink. Once they are able to do the whole brushing process themselves, make the event and exciting and joyous one. Clap and cheer for your kids. Tell your other family members how good the kids were and have them cheer for the children as well. Have your kids show other family members how they too can brush their teeth. Things to do:
- Show your kids how excited you are about brushing, and get even more excited when they brush.
- Make brushing a fun experience.
- Ask them to show you how well they can brush their teeth.
- Make it a point to show other family members how good the kids can brush their teeth.
For Grades K-3rd Kids this age learn things through presentation and repetition. Offer your kids to watch you as you brush your teeth, explaining things as you go along. Come up with creative analogies: "plaques are invisible bugs that eat away at your teeth. The only way to get rid of them is to brush your teeth." Things to do:
- Regularly offer your kids to watch yourself brushing.
- Be consistent with brushing times
- Come up with creative analogies or explanations about brushing teeth
- Ask your dentist to share stories, pictures and information of the hazards of not brushing teeth.